Making your own incense
First consider the mood you would like to create, then choose the appropriate herbs and begin.
You will need
- A pestle and mortar
- A glass jar with lid
- 7 parts resin – such as, frankincense, myrrh, copal or benzoin.
- 3 parts dried herbs, flowers or bark. For example, dried lavender, rose petals or basil are ideal.
- A few drops essential oil to enhance fragrance.
- Place the resin ingredients in the mortar.
- Add the other ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients together and grind with the pestle to create a consistent texture.
- Finally, add a few drops or any aromatherapy essential oil of your choice.
- Store the incense for at least two weeks to allow the different scents to mingle.
To burn loose incense, you will need charcoal blocks and a fireproof dish.
- Fill the container with some Earth to prevent it from overheating.
- Light the charcoal by holding it with tweezers-to prevent you burning your fingers!-over an open flame.
- Sprinkle loose incense over the hot charcoal and allow it to smoulder.
Sprinkle loose incense over charcoal to release the incense’s fragrance.
Choosing scents for incense and joss
Many dried plants can be used when making your own incense.
- Frankincense – lends its own name to ‘incense’ and is one of the most popular ingredients. It enhances positive emotions and creates a meditative atmosphere.
- Jasmine – Oriental jasmine is a traditional perfume ingredient. It’s relaxing scent can help loosen tension and inhibitions.
- Lemongrass – This grass’s strong, sweetvsmell helps repel insects and is often used outside.
- Myrrh – This resin with a warm, slightly bitter smell is used for its healing and sensually stimulating properties.
- Patchouli – Patchouli can be used as both an antiseptic and a perfume. It is helpful for easing anxiety and stress.
- Pine – The fresh, antiseptic smell of pine needles or copal (pine resin) banishes cigarette odours and can disinfect a sickroom.
- Rose – Rose can be used to set the scene for seduction.
Choose your incense to create a romantic mood, cleanse a room or ease stress.